Creating CEO-Marketing Partnerships
The best marketing happens when the head of marketing and the CEO establish a rock-solid partnership.
They agree that success stems from experimenting, learning, optimizing and sometimes failing.
Marketing stumbles when the CEO expects instant gratification and looks at unsuccessful campaigns or activities as mistakes or bad marketing.
As economic conditions become increasingly challenging, it’s important that CEOs and marketing leaders are on the same strategic and tactical pages.
As a starting point, they should:
- Discuss goals and objectives using the SMART framework. Align expectations with reality.
- Determine the go-to-marketing channels that will drive awareness, leads, and sales.
- Make room for experiments and allocate a small part of the budget.
- Meet on a weekly basis to review progress and, as important, brainstorm ideas and explore opportunities.
- Embrace a big picture perspective that into account the economy and competitive landscape.
How strong is your relationship with the CEO or head of marketing?
Like this content? Subscribe to my marketing newsletter; bite-sized pieces of advice, tips, and tools.